LAE is seeking an enthusiastic and compassionate attorney to join our team as a Staff Attorney for healthcare law.
- Conduct intake interviews with new clients, including home, skilled nursing facilities and hospital visits, when necessary
- Provide legal advice and direct representation, including appearing before administrative and judicial bodies in healthcare related matters including:
- Reduction, termination, or denial of health benefits
- Medi-Cal share of cost assessments – especially those that threaten a client’s ability to live independently or risk their housing
- Spousal impoverishment protection
- Medicare recovery
- Denial or reduction of Paratransit/Medical Transportation benefits
- Inappropriate and illegal hospital, rehab, or long-term care facility discharge
- Denial or reduction of IHSS benefits
- Rights under Nursing Home Reform Act
- General health and benefit rights
- Report cases at weekly Case Review meeting
- Collaborate with the Community Partners, such as the Felton Institute Long-Term Care Ombudsman Program and Self-Help to the Elderly HICAP program
- Work with San Francisco Adult Protective Services and Community-based social workers to address their clients’ legal issues
- Collaborate with other LAE practice groups to insure that clients’ legal issues are addressed holistically
- Provide trainings to service providers in order to improve their clients’ access to legal services.
- Member State Bar of California
- Knowledge of Medi-Cal and Medicare requirements
- Strong written, verbal and interviewing skills
- Experience with administrative hearings and/or trials
- Patient & flexible
- 2+ years practicing Health Law
- Bilingual in English and Cantonese
- Knowledge of Skilled Nursing Facility discharge requirements
- Bilingual in English and Spanish, Russian, Mandarin, or Tagalog
- Knowledge of legal issues related to poverty and/or aging
- Experience working with elderly, disabled or homeless individuals or those experiencing a crisis
- Experience working in a non-profit legal services, or other non-profit organization
Salary is based on experience according to our union scale.
After successful completion of a probationary period (90 days), membership in the National Organization of Legal Services Workers becomes a condition of employment.
insurance, vacations, etc.